Farewell to Molly Ivins
Sadly, Molly Ivins died Wednesday night in Austin at the age of 62. I cannot say that I have read all of her columns and books, but what I have read I have appreciated and enjoyed. She was sharp-witted and very funny.
Both CNN and AlterNet have articles on her passing (here and here respectively). The Texas Observer website is currently dedicated to her and has made many of her columns accessible.
Some other articles about and tributes to Molly today:
- Remembering Molly Ivins, 1944-2007 - Time
- Quotes and quips from Molly Ivins - The Houston Chronicle
- Remembering Molly Ivins - The Nation
- Molly Ivins, Columnist, Dies at 62 - The New York Times
- Molly Ivins: A Life Of Passion, Wit And Joy - The Hartford Courant
- Molly Ivins remembers - Denver Post (a more personal note)
Here is a quote from a November 2006 column that I enjoyed:
"...it is always the right time to point out the emperor isn’t wearing any clothes. Honest. There stands George W. Bush, buck nekkid. We want to help him out of this fix because he’s dragging the whole Army, the country and the world down with him. But don’t ask us to call those clothes."
From her last column:
"We are the people who run this country. We are the deciders. And every single day, every single one of us needs to step outside and take some action to help stop this war."



No comments:
Post a Comment