Lent
In about a month, the Mardi Gras season will end and the Lenten season will begin. Baptists generally do not spend much thought on Lent - our focus tends to be on Easter and not on the season that was intended as a preparation for the joy of Easter.
However, a growing number of Baptists are recognizing the season of reflection and repentance that leads up to Easter (see "Give It Up for Lent" in the Baptist Standard last year). A recent column on EthicsDaily.com also explores why a Baptist might celebrate Lent.
Given this coverage, I thought I might throw my oar in as well. Having lived in south Louisiana and having many Catholic friends in both high school and college, I am very familiar with the outward trappings of Lent. A year did not go by that "I am giving up homework for Lent" was not heard (it is, in fact, not funny every time). I have also heard some very solid sermons both during Catholic mass and in Methodist services which explained the purpose and the importance of the symbolic sacrifice during Lent.
However, a growing number of Baptists are recognizing the season of reflection and repentance that leads up to Easter (see "Give It Up for Lent" in the Baptist Standard last year). A recent column on EthicsDaily.com also explores why a Baptist might celebrate Lent.Given this coverage, I thought I might throw my oar in as well. Having lived in south Louisiana and having many Catholic friends in both high school and college, I am very familiar with the outward trappings of Lent. A year did not go by that "I am giving up homework for Lent" was not heard (it is, in fact, not funny every time). I have also heard some very solid sermons both during Catholic mass and in Methodist services which explained the purpose and the importance of the symbolic sacrifice during Lent.
Lent is a time when we can sacrifice to both remember the sacrifice of Christ during his forty days in the desert and on the cross as well as sacrifice to remember the poor. In remembering Christ's sacrifice, we can more fully appreciate the joy and gift that was given to us with His resurrection at Easter.
Remembering the poor helps us to live out the commandments of Christ to care for the needy in our world. When we give up some of our luxuries or eating meat, our suffering in no way approximates that of those who live each day not knowing where their next meal will come from - but that is not the purpose. The purpose is to remember the poor in particular during one season of the year so that we may put the charity of Christ into action in our daily life throughout the year.
For some, Lent means a restrictive set of rules to follow. Unfortunately, if your heart is not in it, then no amount of sacrifice will give you the benefits that are offered by true sacrifice. So, while the specific guidelines provided by the Catholic church (see here for example) may provide a road map for some who need structure, it is important to remember that God sees past our activities and to our hearts and our motives. Lent is about getting our hearts in the right place and preparing ourselves for Easter and for serving a needy world.
Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
Psalm 51:10-12 (NIV)
Some additional resources on Lent:



No comments:
Post a Comment