Torture Update
I do not understand why there is not more of an outcry from the American citizens when our government is authorizing torture. I don't get it. I realize that the headlines indicated that the new order ended the torture regime. But doesn't anyone bother to read more about it? Have the historical activities not taught us that our current regime seems to be heavily in favor of torture? We have abandoned the moral high ground to search for legal loopholes and gray areas. As a whole, we do not seem to care as much as we should.
See here for an article that looks into the new order in more detail and, unsurprisingly, finds that it does not, in fact, ban torture.
I just wish there were some way to talk sense into them!



4 comments:
"Talking sense" would imply that we could make them see the error of their ways, that they might come to some kind of realization that torture is not really nice or good, nor particularly effective. But that won't work with people whose heads are firmly implanted up their own backsides, and who look to "Jack Bauer" as their moral compass, and how-to guide.
I disagree... I think our government has a right to torture people in certain circumstances. If a terrorist has a nuclear bomb ready to go off and we need information to stop mass casulties, I'm all for it. BTW, I like Jack Bauer too....
Thanks for your comment anonymous. The ticking bomb defense of torture is common and, in my opinion, flawed. If the terrorist has a nuclear bomb ready to go off and is bent on destruction, chances are he isn't going to give it up after we beat him up. Torture is much more likely to create an environment with more attacks than it is to garner usefull information to stop attacks.
It is a tragedy that the US has given up the moral high ground which it used to have. Many people have written and spoken about it. It also puts American soldiers in greater jeopardy, and they have enough problems already.
Not only do we condone torture, we condone torture of innocent bystanders who happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. We must pray.
Post a Comment