The Other Side of War
I am opposed to the war in Iraq. I have been opposed to the war ever since they started making the arguments about weapons of mass destruction. I would have been against the war even if they had located the mythical WMD. None of the arguments for invading Iraq even came close to meeting the requirements of just war. I think we were driven into this war by the manipulation of the current administration. I am outraged and upset at the lives of American soldiers that have been lost. I am sorely ashamed of the behavior of my country. But none of these things are the purpose of this post.
In this great mess, it is easy to lose sight of the real victims in this crisis - the Iraqi people. It is so easy to get caught up in pointing the finger, finding the many flaws in the politicians, and just keeping up with the body count that we do not think about the real impact on their daily lives. I do not doubt that life was not great under Saddam, but it certainly did not include the daily bombings and mass murders that are taking place today. In this war, as in every war, the victims are the innocent civilians whose lives are ripped apart.
Throughout our world, there are women and children suffering the effects of war. I know there are many organizations that are working to help them. One such organization that I was reading about today is Women for Women International. Women for Women won the 2006 Hilton Humanitarian Prize for being an organization that significantly alleviates human suffering. We should all support organizations like this that seek to reduce the suffering inflicted by wars. I hope that we will all seek to spread peace as much as we can.
Sojourners is hosting a Christian Peace Witness for Iraq on March 16, the fourth anniversary of the start of the war in Iraq. This is a good time to come together to show support for peace and opposition to the current war and any future wars that may be brewing.



1 comment:
I went to the Sojourners site to look for a Peace Witness near me on the 16th, and the closest one they listed, when I put in my zip code and requested events within 30 miles, was an event in Kent, England. I would think the Washington, DC main event would be closer.
Post a Comment